Friday, January 30, 2015

THE MYSTERIOUS DEATH OF TIM EDWARDS

The mysterious death of one of the founders of Central Arizona College baseball remains unsolved today. These are some articles (among the few) I have found with the most recent and relevant information.

The El Paso Times

On the suspect James Michael Snyder

Murder case dismissed

Former player for for Central Arizona College baseball under Coach Tim Edwards, Tom Martin.

I was recruited out of Farmington, New Mexico where I went to high school along with a couple of other guys. The baseball coach at that time was a guy named Dan Stoutz, (not sure about the spelling.) It was in the infant years of the program and it wasn't very good, really we were pretty awful until 72 then it really took off. Somewhere over that first winter Stoutz who was the basketball coach resigned as the baseball coach and Coach Edwards became our coach. Tim did a great job of recruiting and brought in some serious talent for the '72 season of which two guys went on to play in the majors. I was one of two catchers who played quite a bit and was lucky enough to be voted one of the co-captains. I was then named the MVP at the end of the season even though there were Freshman who had better years than me but it always had gone to a Sophomore. I went on to play at the University of Utah where I graduated from in 1975. I stayed in SLC for a couple of years and moved to the Denver area in 1979 where I reside today and have worked in the concrete business for 30 plus years. Recently, my company purchased a sports material company and I now work in that division.

Tim laid the groundwork in 72 and 73 for the National Championships which came a few years later. I remember talking with him when he gave up coaching baseball which wasn't long after I left. I asked,

"Why did you give it up?"

"Tom I had the most talent in the league and didn't win it. They need a better coach."

Can you imagine any one doing that today? He was very honest, humble, a great guy but most of all he had a sense of humor and could laugh at himself.

-Tom Martin